March 6, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Tenants and advocates worry about the potential rollback of TOPA in DC

– For almost 40 years, DC residents have used the Tenants Opportunity to Purchase Act which allows renters of apartments or single-family homes the first right to buy when the homeowner decides to sell. This morning, DC Council will consider a bill that would exclude single-family homes from the act. (WAMU, 3/5)

The proposed change has drawn fierce criticism from tenant advocates and affordable housing groups, who say that single-family homes are an important part of the city’s housing stock and should not be cut out of TOPA.

“We do believe that single-family homes are an important source of affordable housing in the District, particularly for families looking for larger-bedroom units,” said Beth Harrison of the Legal Aid Society of D.C. “We fear that by rolling back tenant rights and the right to purchase that more of these units will go to other purposes than affordable housing.”

– DC has hired its first affordable housing preservation officer to identify opportunities to preserve affordable housing in the city. (WCP, 3/5)

– Here’s the history of how wealthy donors have contributed to the far right. (HistPhil, 3/5)

– Opinion: How Grant Makers Can Fight Gun Violence — Now and Over the Long Haul (Chronicle, 3/5  Subscription needed)

IMMIGRATION | Even though the courts have blocked the ending of DACA, recipients are still in limbo. (WAMU, 3/5)

EDUCATION | Lawmakers in Loudoun County are calling for an investigation into the use of seclusion and restraint against students with special needs in its public schools. (Loudoun Times, 3/5)

HEALTH | The new Uber Health service lets doctors and patients schedule rides for appointments using text-messaging, which will help people without smartphones. (NextCity, 3/2)

Ever need help figuring out how to make your leftovers appealing for the next meal? Try this tool.