March 7, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

These DC women helped establish sexual harassment protections in the workforce

SEXUAL HARASSMENT | As the #MeToo movement has reached from Hollywood to politics to the media and the nonprofit sector, conversations about consent and the history of sexual harassment laws has increased. Washingtonian has published an article about one of three DC area women whose court case helped establish sexual-harassment protections for women in the workforce. (Washingtonian, 3/4)

Robert Adler, thin with dark curly hair, scoured the library for sexual-harassment lawsuits with his team, hoping to assemble a playbook of winning arguments to use in Sandra Bundy’s case. They found little to be encouraged about. “Most of the case law was going to go against us,” says Arthur Chotin, the attorney who argued the case at trial.

At that time, judges took it for granted that men would pursue women at work just as they did at the local bar—and “there was nothing the law could do about it nor should do about it,” says Gillian Thomas, a senior staff attorney at the ACLU’s Women’s Rights Project. In her book about landmark discrimination cases, Because of Sex, Thomas cites a New Jersey judge who ruled against an early harassment claim by saying the law wasn’t meant to “provide a federal remedy for what amounts to a physical attack motivated by sexual desire . . . which happened to occur in a corporate corridor rather than a back alley.”

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY | Katy Moore, WRAG’s managing director of corporate strategy, discusses how diversity initiatives alone will not erase the racial inequities we see in the business community and highlights Deloitte‘s efforts to make white men full diversity partners. (Daily, 3/7)

RACIAL EQUITY | Nicky Goren, vice chair of WRAG’s Board of Directors and president and CEO of Meyer Foundation, discusses the foundation’s journey to adopt a racial equity lens and how the Greater Washington region’s philanthropic sector has responded to the administration’s new policies. (PND Blog, 3/6)

NONPROFITS | What It Takes: How a Charity Confronted Its Lack of Diversity and Found New Strength (Chronicle, 3/7 – Subscription needed)

EDUCATION | DC will enforce its attendance policy for graduating seniors this year. This decision is complicating the lives of students who have already missed more days than allowed. (WaPo, 3/6)

HEALTHPatients Like Hospital Care At Home, But Some Insurers Are Skeptical (NPR, 3/7)

The Atlantic has created visuals to W.E.B. Du Bois’ writings on how it feels to be a problem in America.