March 19, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Black boys and men don’t have the same economic opportunities as their white counterparts

RACIAL EQUITY | A new study has found that Black boys, even if they are born to high-income parents, are worse off economically in adulthood than white boys who are born into poverty. Researchers say this gap cannot be explained by class; it is about racism and the way society views Black boys and men. (NYT, 3/19)

If this inequality can’t be explained by individual or household traits, much of what matters probably lies outside the home — in surrounding neighborhoods, in the economy and in a society that views black boys differently from white boys, and even from black girls.

“One of the most popular liberal post-racial ideas is the idea that the fundamental problem is class and not race, and clearly this study explodes that idea,” said Ibram Kendi, a professor and director of the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at American University. “But for whatever reason, we’re unwilling to stare racism in the face.”

HEALTH
– The 2018 County Health Rankings, a collaboration between Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, are here! Montgomery County and Loudoun County are still the healthiest counties in Maryland and Virginia, respectively.

– Maryland health care delivery experiment saves Medicare more than half a billion dollars in hospitals (Baltimore Sun, 3/16)

EDUCATION | Caroline Hill, founder of the DC Equity Lab and co-founder of the Equity Design Collaborative, discusses her thoughts on ensuring equity in education and the need to include those impacted in the process. (Aspen Institute, 3/15)

PHILANTHROPY | The Greater Washington Community Foundation is accepting nominations for the 2018 Montgomery County Philanthropist of the Year until Friday, March 23.

NONPROFITS | University of Maryland’s School of Public Policy has launched a new graduate certificate in nonprofit management and leadership. Learn more here.

HOUSING | Jessica Raven, executive director of Collective Action for Safe Spaces, argues that, instead of criminalizing sex work, the District should be addressing the problem of homelessness, which may lead people to engage in sex work. (GGWash, 3/16)

PUBLIC SAFETY
– Maryland lawmakers will consider whether to raise the maximum fine for texting while driving to $500 tomorrow. (WaPo, 3/18)

– Fairfax For All Coalition Pushes to End Local Collaboration With ICE In Fairfax County, Virginia (Demos, 3/14)

Here’s something to make you smile on this Monday:

julia

Thanks to Julia Baer-Cooper, philanthropic advisor, for this entry!

Do you want to be involved? Send us a picture of something that has made you smile and we may include it in the “Daily WRAG’s Monday Smile”!

Email us your content at allen@washingtongrantmakers.org.