March 27, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

MD and VA move to ensure female inmates have access to feminine hygiene products

CRIMINAL JUSTICE | For many women who are imprisoned, sanitary napkins and tampons are not easily accessible. Maryland and Virginia lawmakers have joined a number of states in proposing and passing legislation which ensures that female prison inmates have access to feminine hygiene products. (Richmond Times, 3/27)

Amy Fettig, deputy director for the American Civil Liberties Union’s National Prison Project, says the issue has emerged in the past year as part of a larger conversation about women in prison that simply wasn’t happening five to 10 years ago. The project works to ensure the nation’s prisons, jails and detention centers comply with the Constitution and international human rights principles.

“Even though women have been the largest increasing portion of the criminal justice system for two decades, they still are a relatively small portion compared to men, and so their needs and situations have been largely ignored, both in our criminal justice system and by the public at large, and that’s finally beginning to change because of the work of advocacy groups,” Fettig said.

HOUSING
– The Equal Rights Center has released a new report, Next Generation Segregation, which includes the result of an investigation into whether Black families with children experience discrimination in the District of Columbia’s housing market. (ERC, 3/26)

– Richard Rothstein, author of The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America, recently hosted a lecture in the District on the government’s role in creating and maintaining residential segregation. (GGWash, 3/22)

Related Event: Richard Rothstein will be back in town on May 3 for WRAG’s Brightest Minds series. Register here. This program is open to the public.

PHILANTHROPY | Vicky Spruill, president and CEO of Council on Foundations, has announced that she will step down as president of the organization this summer. (Chronicle, 3/26 – Subscription needed)

WORKFORCEEverything you need to know about the D.C. tipped wage initiative (WBJ, 3/27)

EDUCATION | Montgomery County Public Schools are readying to transition to a new educational curriculum after a report found the current curriculum didn’t meet the needs of all students. (Bethesda Beat, 3/26)

Kids jokes are usually funny. Even the bad ones, right?