April 3, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How does food insecurity impact children?

FOOD INSECURITY | According to USDA, 16.5% of households with children and 31.6% of households with children headed by single women experienced food insecurity in 2016. We hear a lot of stories about food insecurity but often they are not from the children experiencing it. Researchers are now trying to collect stories of these children to learn how they are impacted and how they cope. (Civil Eats, 3/26)

In the short term, elementary-age children deal with shortages and hunger in a variety of ways. North Carolina State University sociologist Sarah Bowen, who just concluded a five-year study funded by the USDA and is currently analyzing the data, interviewed 81 subjects aged 7 to 13 about their coping strategies.

Eight-year-old Clayton collected cans and bottles for money; even though he had two working parents who received food stamps, the family was still in need—contradicting assumptions that all food-insecure Americans are unemployed, or live in poverty. According to the USDA, households with incomes at or above 185 percent of the poverty line make up one-quarter of food-insecure households.

POVERTY | Brandee McHale, president of Citi Foundation, encourages grantmakers to focus on helping communities in poverty become financially stable as well as socially mobile. (Chronicle, 4/2 – Subscription needed)

HEALTH | DC has released new details on the construction of the hospital that is supposed to replace the only hospital in Southeast, United Medical Center. (WaPo, 4/3)

– Georgetown University has agreed to let graduate students vote on whether to join the American Federation of Teachers union. (WaPo, 4/2)

– Schools Try New Ways To Address Discipline As D.C. Council Considers Banning Suspensions (WAMU, 4/3)

IMMIGRATION | Opinion: Jack Markell, a trustee of the Annie E. Casey Foundation and former governor of Delaware, discusses how the administration’s proposed policies related to immigrant populations will have a disastrous impact on children. (WaPo, 3/29)

ECONOMY | New research has found that when cities and states offer tax deals to entice large companies to locate in their area, incomes eventually decrease. (Citylab, 3/29)

Can you guess the 100 most common words used in English?