April 5, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Advocates hope bill will end discrimination against homeless individuals in DC

HOMELESSNESS | DC residents experiencing homelessness and advocates are asking the DC Council to hold a hearing and pass an anti-discrimination bill that could help people escape homelessness. The bill, the Michael A. Stoops Anti-Discrimination Amendment Act, would add homelessness-based discrimination to protected traits under the Human Rights Act. (Street Sense, 4/4)

In anti-discrimination lawsuits, “source of income and other categories are often proxies for what the real category of discrimination is,” explained Lori Leibowitz, a staff attorney who coordinates the Right to Housing Initiative at the Neighborhood Legal Services Program in D.C. “At this moment it is perfectly legal for someone to decide ‘I don’t want to hire this person’ or ‘I don’t want to rent to this person’ because they’re homeless.”

BUSINESS
– Jim Corcoran has announced that he is stepping down as the president and CEO of the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce. (WBJ, 4/2)

– Candidates running for DC Council chair discussed Metro funding, Amazon HQ2 incentives and more at a recent forum hosted by the DC business community. (WBJ, 4/4)

HEALTH
– The US surgeon general wants more people to carry the overdose antidote naloxone and educated on how to administer the drug to help combat the opioid epidemic. (Baltimore Sun, 4./5)

– For Many Black Washingtonians, Gentrification Threatens Housing and Health (Washington Informer, 4/3)

– Teachers at DC’s Anacostia High School walked out this morning to protest the school building’s condition. (WaPo, 4/5)

– Opinion: Are bad boundaries spurring inequality in Montgomery schools? (GGWash, 4/4)

Another streaming service has arrived, and it’s connected to your local library.