April 19, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Triage nurses and 911 operators come together to help DC residents

PUBLIC SAFETY | Washington, DC has the highest rate of 911 calls, but 25% of those calls are not emergencies. To lower the number, the city is launching a new program that consists of placing triage nurses in 911 call centers to help dispatchers field calls that are not urgent. (WAMU, 4/19)

The triage nurses can even coordinate free Lyft rides for people who are on Medicaid — including a stop at a pharmacy if needed.

The “ride” part of the new triage service is critical, proponents say, because that’s the real emergency for many of the inappropriate calls to 911. Some callers simply have a hard time getting to the doctor in parts of the District where clinics can be miles away, and public transportation may not be readily accessible.

RACIAL EQUITY | Last year, Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, was named the Waldemar Nielsen Visiting Fellow at the Center for Public and Nonprofit Leadership at the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University. Today, she reflects on her time spent educating public policy graduate students about racial equity and how philanthropy can play a role in achieving it. (Daily, 4/19)

HOMELESSNESSResidents Fight the Construction of the Ward 5 Homeless Shelter (WCP, 4/19)

FINANCE | JPMorgan Chase has announced that it will open 70 banking branches in the Greater Washington region and increase affordable housing lending to $500 million. (WaPo, 4/18)

DIVERSITY | GrantCraft has published a report exploring how the philanthropic sector can better integrate diversity, equity and inclusion into its grantmaking practices. Read it here. (GrantCraft, 4/17)

FOODSome D.C. students are seeking healthier, more affordable food for themselves, and their classmates (WaPo, 4/17)

NONPROFITS | Compass provides pro bono consulting to nonprofits in the following areas: board development, funding strategy, partnerships & collaborations and strategic marketing. Applications for 2018-19 are now open.

ENVIRONMENT | A new study by the Natural Resources Defense Council suggests that climate change is impacting the health of Virginians, and it is only going to get worse. (WaPo, 4/17)

Watch this cool video of some kids setting up dominoes and knocking them down.