April 24, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

These Virginia students successfully pushed for more mental health resources in their school

MENTAL HEALTH | Teens in a Virginia high school saw how the stress of school and other life factors was impacting their lives and the lives of their peers, and decided to do something to help. They lobbied and successfully helped pass a law requiring mental health instruction for the state’s ninth and tenth graders. (WaPo, 4/23)

The Albemarle County students have their own ideas for what they would like to see emerge from the law. They want to understand the science behind mental health, let students know where they can turn in times of trouble and shed negative connotations associated with talking about mental well-being.

“The problem isn’t that students are doing too much,” said Moreno, a senior at Western Albemarle High School. “The problem is that students are doing too much, and they don’t have individuals in place that can help them deal with the stress and anxiety that come with that. A bad day turns into a bad week and turns into a bad month.”

PHILANTHROPY | Stephanie Areizaga, a WRAG/UMD Philanthropy Fellow at Montgomery County Collaboration Council for Children, Youth and Families, reflects on her experience over the last year and discusses how she gained practical skills for entering the nonprofit sector. (Daily, 4/24)

Related: The Philanthropy Fellows program is WRAG’s exclusive partnership with UMD’s Do Good Institute. WRAG is accepting applications from its members to host Philanthropy Fellows this fall until May 11. Learn more

ARTS & HUMANITIES | What Will The Holocaust Museum Look Like Without Survivors? (WAMU, 4/24)

GIVING
– Tomorrow, ACT for Alexandria is hosting Spring2ACTion, an online giving day created to support nonprofits working in Alexandria. Learn more here.

– Trump-Fueled ‘Reactive’ Giving Likely to Continue in 2018, Study Says (Chronicle, 4/23 – Subscription needed)

POVERTY | Why workforce development programs are necessary to help low-income communities gains skills and secure better paying jobs. (Urban Institute, 4/13)

HOMELESSNESS | Fairfax County breaks ground on a new homeless shelter, which will have a mix of emergency beds and permanent housing. (Fairfax Times, 4/22)

EDUCATION | The Loudoun County School Board is considering reducing the county’s universal full-day kindergarten. (Loudoun Times, 4/21)

If you had to eat fast food, where would you rather eat?