April 27, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Supreme Court hears challenges to the Muslim travel ban

DISCRIMINATION | On Wednesday, the Supreme Court heard a challenge to the latest ban on travel to the United States from several predominantly Muslim countries issued by the president. Challengers said that the president’s campaign speeches and Twitter posts about Muslims were a clear indication that the ban was aimed at this population. (NYT, 4/25)

Mr. Trump issued his first travel ban a week after he took office, causing chaos at the nation’s airports and starting a cascade of lawsuits and appeals. The case before the court, Trump v. Hawaii, No. 17-965, concerns Mr. Trump’s third and most concerted effort to make good on his campaign promise to secure the United States’ borders. The court had considered aspects of an earlier version of the travel ban, but this was the first time the justices heard arguments on any of the challenges.

LGBTQIA RIGHTS | A Maryland teenager is fighting for his school to create a policy to allow transgender students to use the locker rooms of their gender identity. (WaPo, 4/26)

HOUSING | Residents of DC’s Barry Farm housing project were dealt a small victory yesterday after the DC Court of Appeals sent the project back to the Zoning Commission because officials “did not fully address all contested issues as required by the zoning and redevelopment regulatory scheme.” (WAMU, 4/26)

PHILANTHROPY | The Silicon Valley Community Foundation Board of Directors have announced that its chief executive, Emmett Carson, was placed on paid administrative leave. (Chronicle, 4/26)

FOOD | Earlier this month, residents of wards 7 and 8 started a petition to make popular food delivery services deliver to these communities. Today, three of the companies have announced that they will extend their services. (WTOP, 4/27)

RACE
– The National Women’s Law Center has released a new study that found that Black girls are disproportionately targeted for dress-code violations at DC schools. (WaPo, 4/26)

– Beyond Starbucks: Some D.C. Business Owners Ramp Up Anti-Bias Trainings (WAMU, 4/26)

CRIMINAL JUSTICE | How prosecutors, along with changing federal, state and local laws, can reduce the prison population in America. (Citylab, 4/26)

Social Sector Job Openings 

Grants Management Specialist | DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities – New!
Vice President of Strategy | Gill Foundation
Associate, Program Design | Flamboyan Foundation
Associate, Program Operations | Flamboyan Foundation
Director of Communications and Marketing | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Part-Time Program Administrator for the Bernie Scholarship Awards Program Fund | Greater Washington Community Foundation
Membership and Program Coordinator | Funders Together to End Homelessness
Communications Associate | Venture Philanthropy Partners
Programs Officer | DC Bar Foundation
Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion | Council on Foundations
Development Director | Critical Exposure
Finance Manager (Part-Time) | United Philanthropy Forum
Communications Manager | United Philanthropy Forum

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar

To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder.

This dog wants to tell you the weather.