May 15, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The week marks the launch of new Poor People’s Campaign

RACIAL EQUITY | This week marks the anniversary of the 1968 Poor People’s Campaign, co-organized by Martin Luther King, Jr., to organize poor people of diverse ethnic and racial identities to demand economic justice. This week also commemorates the beginning of the new Poor People’s Campaign with an expansive list of demands. (NPR, 5/14)

The new Poor People’s Campaign is calling for a list of demands including changes to federal and state living wage laws that are “commensurate for the 21st century economy,” a reinvestment in public housing, a repeal to the 2017 GOP-led tax plan, an end to America’s militarism and reallocation of “resources from the military budget to education, health care, jobs and green infrastructure needs” and eradicating systemic racism, just to name a few.

EDUCATION | A new report by the National Center for Education Statistics found that 94% of teachers spend an average of $479 for classroom supplies per year, with teachers who work at schools with a large population of low-income students spending the most money. (WaPo, 5/15)

ENVIRONMENT | Prince George’s Breaks Ground On Largest Composting Facility On The East Coast (WAMU, 5/15)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | The Corcoran Gallery of Art will distribute its remaining art collection to local institutions including universities, museums, the U.S. Supreme Court, and the D.C. Council for free. (WAMU, 5/14)

PHILANTHROPYFoundations Move $737 Million to Donor-Advised Funds, Chronicle Study Shows (Chronicle, 5/14 – Subscription needed)

WORKFORCE | The District’s mayor and Council chair have come out against the tipped minimum wage ballot initiative. (WCP, 5/14)

In preparation for the storms we’re getting tonight, check out these cool photos that capture severe weather.