May 17, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Do More 24 offers a chance to give back today

GIVING | Do More 24 starts today! Rosie Allen-Herring, president and CEO of United Way of the National Capital Area, discusses why you should support the Greater Washington region’s largest 24-hour online fundraiser, which begins at noon today and ends at noon tomorrow. (Prince William Living, 5/16)

We are hearing from our nonprofit partners on a daily basis about the overwhelming demand for services for the area’s “at-risk” populations, including those benefiting from programs that support school success, financial empowerment and access to health support services.

On Thursday, May 17, more than 270 Prince William County nonprofits will join other organizations throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area to take part in United Way of the National Capital Area’s Do More 24. This is the region’s largest online giving day, expected to raise nearly $2 million for local nonprofits.

IMPACT INVESTING | The Urban Institute and Mission Investors Exchange have partnered on a report to explore emerging approaches to collaborative placed-based impact investing in philanthropy. The report mentions Enterprise Community Loan Fund and WRAG’s Our Region, Your Investment initiative. (Urban Institute, 5/15)

WORKFORCE
– A new hiring platform that helps individuals find temporary work in the region’s restaurants worries labor experts. (WAMU, 5/17)

– It’s not just Amazon: Apple quietly explores Northern Virginia campus for 20,000 jobs (WaPo, 5/16)

BUDGET | DC Fiscal Policy Institute reports that DC’s recently approved budget for next year does not ensure equitable access to health care or fund critical affordable housing needs in the city. (DCFPI, 5/16)

TRANSPORTATION | Greater Washington Partnership, an alliance of CEOs from major companies around the region, have released a report arguing that tolls are the solution for traffic congestion between Baltimore and Richmond. (WBJ, 5/16)

A new debate has taken over the internet, but instead of a dress, it’s an audio clip that says either ‘laurel’ or ‘yanny’. What do you hear? 

(Clearly, it’s laurel.)