May 23, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Why the rising popularity of ugly produce is good news

FOOD WASTE | The consumption of imperfect or flawed fruits and vegetables is on the rise. While the produce has largely gone to food banks or to waste in the past, recently, some for-profit businesses have begun to sell them in an effort to stop food waste and to try to change our society’s views on food. (WCP, 5/17)

According to Rethink Food Waste Through Economics and Data (ReFED), 63 million tons of food goes to waste every year. Ten million tons, or 16 percent, of that waste happens at the first stage of the supply chain—on the farm. One of the solutions ReFED recommends is accepting and integrating ugly produce into the food system.

That step alone would slow climate change by diverting 266,000 tons of waste away from landfills and on-farm losses, reducing greenhouse gases by 422,000 tons and saving 39 billion gallons of water every year, according to ReFED.

IMMIGRATION | The Montgomery County Council has approved $370,000 in funds to pay for legal representation for certain low-income immigrants who are facing deportation. (Bethesda Beat, 5/22)

TAX REFORM | Foundations and Nonprofits Split Over How to Respond to Tax Changes (Chronicle, 5/22 -Subscription needed)

TRANSGENDER RIGHTS | A Virginia court has ruled that school officials violated the constitutional rights of Gavin Grimm, a Virginia transgender teen who was prohibited from using the boys’ restroom in his high school in 2015. (WaPo, 5/22)

COMMUNITY | What do Prince George’s County residents think about the southern half of the county being labelled ‘ward 9’ of the District? This WAMU article asks community members. (WAMU, 5/22)

CRIMINAL JUSTICE | Column: ‘No relief in sight’: Hundreds of Virginia inmates languish in solitary confinement for years, groups find. (WaPo, 5/22)

Here’s another reason to sleep in on the weekend…

One Comment