May 24, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Activists hold forum to voice opposition to the region’s incentive offers to Amazon

BUSINESS | On Tuesday night, activists from across the region, along with a few candidates for council, came together to voice their opposition to the incentive packages local jurisdictions have offered to Amazon. (WaPo, 5/23)

“If this locates in Montgomery County, it will put enormous pressure on our housing market. Adding tens of thousands of new people and their families to Montgomery County is a huge increase in our population, on our schools, on our services. It’s a big impact, and we have to realistically ask if that’s the way that we should add 50,000 jobs rather than investing in the companies that we already have,” said Brandy Brooks, a candidate for an At-Large seat on the Montgomery County Council.

Few of the speakers seemed to think that stopping regional officials from courting Amazon — and from Amazon accepting their entreaties — would be possible, but most argued that public money shouldn’t be put towards financial incentives for Amazon. They worried that by short-listing three jurisdictions in the Washington region, Amazon was all but ensuring that an incentives bidding war would happen.

GENDER EQUITY | The story of the women’s rights movement in 1968, including a Miss America pageant protest. (WaPo, 5/23)

PHILANTHROPY | Opinion: Why we should think of news media as a public good and how philanthropy can help save it. (Chronicle, 5/1 – Subscription needed)

YOUTH | DC Action for Children and the DC Alliance of Youth Advocates have partnered to release the DC Votes for Children and Youth 2018 Election Advocacy Guide to educate voters on the issues affecting DC’s youth. Read it here.

DISTRICT | ‘I’m From Here’: Washington, DC, Natives Fight Back Against the Whitewashing of Chocolate City (The Root, 5/23)

PUBLIC SAFETY | High school students in the District share their ideas on how to end gun violence in their neighborhoods. (WAMU, 5/24)

CENSUS 2020Alabama sues Census Bureau for counting undocumented immigrants (The Hill, 5/22)

The Capitals are going to the Stanley Cup finals!

One Comment