June 1, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Opioid addiction is growing among aging adults

HEALTH
– According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, between 2002 and 2014, opioid abuse almost doubled among Americans over age 50. Officials say the prescription of opioid painkillers for the various conditions or diseases that this group is experiencing is the biggest contributor to the epidemic. (WaPo, 5/25)

Many elderly get hooked on opiates through prescriptions, rather than street drugs like heroin.

“Older adults are at high risk for medication misuse due to conditions like pain, sleep disorders/insomnia, and anxiety that commonly occur in this population,” said William B. Stauffer, executive director of the Pennsylvania Recovery Organizations Alliance, who is in long-term recovery. “They are more likely to receive prescriptions for psychoactive medications with misuse potential, such as opioid analgesics for pain and central nervous system depressants like benzodiazepines for sleep disorders and anxiety.”

– Study Aims To Show Transplants Between HIV-Positive Patients Are Safe, Save Lives (NPR, 6/1)

CHARITABLE GIVING |  Eileen Ellsworth, president of the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia, and others discuss how tax reform will impact charitable giving in Virginia. (Virginia Business, 5/30)

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITYWells Fargo Pledges to Give $400 Million Cash in 2018 (Chronicle, 5/30)

EDUCATION | How the College Park City-University Partnership is collaborating with the government, the private sector and the University of Maryland to make the area more livable for students and longtime residents. (DiamondBack, 5/31)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | Dorothy Kosinski, CEO of the Phillips Collection, discusses the reason for the museum’s recent decision to begin intentionally working to diversify the museum. (WaPo, 5/18)

Social Sector Job Openings 

Contract Grant Writer | Project HEAL– New!
Program Associate| Case Foundation– New!
Program Assistant | Weissberg Foundation– New!
Grants Manager | Public Welfare Foundation
Program Manager | The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation
Grants Program Analyst | Legal Services Corporation
Vice President of Strategy | Gill Foundation
Director of Communications and Marketing | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Membership and Program Coordinator | Funders Together to End Homelessness
Finance Manager (Part-Time) | United Philanthropy Forum
Communications Manager | United Philanthropy Forum

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar

To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder.

Today is National Doughnut Day! Here’s where to get your free doughnuts.