June 6, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Incarcerated in their youth, these adults are trying to build a life outside

ARTS & HUMANITIES
– A new documentary and an art installation will explore the impact of incarceration on DC area youth and their struggle to build a life after their release. They also discuss the experience of being isolated from family as they are sent to prisons outside of DC because it has no facilities for long-term imprisonment. (WaPo, 6/5)

The 40-minute film, “Becoming Free,” premieres at the By The People festival, which runs at locations around the city June 21 to 24 and is put on by Halcyon, a Georgetown-based incubator for socially engaged artists and entrepreneurs. The filmmaker, attorney turned multimedia artist Kristin Adair, is a fellow this year at Halcyon. The festival also features a multimedia installation by Adair, “Cell 17,” which invites viewers to step into a cell-like space and hear the voices of young people who got life sentences. “Many were children of the crack epidemic and urban wars,” she said. “They were caught up in criminal activity of older guys, mothers, fathers, siblings. They got caught up in that and got these really long sentences.”

Related: Will Avila, owner of Clean Decisions and returning citizen, is featured in the documentary. Two years ago, Anthony Pleasant, former Clean Decisions employee and Graham McLaughlin, a member of WRAG’s Board of Directors, discussed the challenges returning citizens face. (Daily, 4/25)

– Here’s What D.C.’s New ‘Planet Word’ Museum In The Franklin School Will Look Like (WAMU, 6/5)

INCOME GAP | New research analyzing the financial health of LGBTQIA millenials and their heterosexual counterparts found an income gap and less knowledge of investing. (USA Today, 6/6)

Nearly 1 in 5 Maryland students is chronically absent. At some schools, the rate is more than 75 percent. (Baltimore Sun, 6/6)

– More than 50 of the DC’s public and charter schools have classroom doors that can’t be locked, causing school officials, staff and parents to worry for the safety of students if a lockdown occurs. (WaPo, 6/5)

ENVIRONMENT | Climate justice activists call for the DC Council to tax carbon pollution at a higher rate than the Council has proposed in a recent bill. (Washington Times, 6/5)

POVERTY | Maurice Jones, president and CEO of Local Initiatives Support Corporation, discusses his organization’s work with communities that have historically been under-invested in and the importance of applying an equity lens. (PND Blog, 6/5)

In honor of National Yo-Yo Day, enjoy this video of a yo-yo dancing in the dark.