June 7, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How Prince George’s County can invest in the health of its immigrant population

HEALTHCARE | La Clinica del Pueblo, a non-profit, federally qualified health center that serves the Latino and immigrant populations of the Washington, DC metro area, recently convened stakeholders to discuss how to improve health and healthcare for Latino immigrants in Prince George’s County. Read the recommendations here. (La Clinica del Pueblo, 6/6)

The primary recommendations centered on a few principal concerns, approaches, and desired outcomes:

• Provide access to insurance and health care for all uninsured and uninsurable people, especially immigrants who are not eligible for other types of insurance.
  • Dedicate a larger percentage of the county’s budget toward health services.
  • Foster community member involvement at all levels of the health care system planning process and promote inter-sectoral collaboration

– Students at this Silver Spring high school have built 41 homes since 1972. Their most recent home is listed for $549,000. (WAMU, 6/1)

– D.C. passes emergency law to allow chronically absent students to graduate (WaPo, 6/6)

WORKFORCE
– The Center for Regional Analysis at George Mason University has released a report on the impact of immigrants on the region’s economy. (WBJ, 6/7)

– DC residents will vote on Initiative 77, a minimum wage proposal for tipped workers, on June 19th. (WAMU, 6/7)

TRANSPORTATIONIn the shadow of Uber’s rise, taxi driver suicides leave cabbies shaken (NBC News, 6/7)

Not remembering the names of the people you meet could cost you….