June 18, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Placing midwives in high schools helps to educate teens on sexual health

HEALTHCARE
– Teen pregnancy has decreased overall in the US, but the rates still remain high in some communities, including those that are low-income and communities of color. In this District high school, with help from a CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield grant, a midwife works to provide prenatal care, contraceptives and counseling to teen parents and other students. (NPR, 6/11)

Patchen had been trying to combat the city’s teen pregnancy rates for twenty years as the founder of the Teen Alliance for Prepared Parenting or TAPP at Medstar Washington Hospital Center. She was happy with what they accomplished, but she wanted more access to the young people who needed her. Her organization got a 2015 grant from the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield health insurance to start working in two schools. Now she says she’s one of a handful of school midwives in the country.

In the three years that she’s been working out of Anacostia High School, Patchen says no students participating in the program have had a subsequent pregnancy. And after choosing a long term birth control method like an IUD, 85 percent of Anacostia students are still using it one year later.

RACIAL EQUITY | In today’s blog post, Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, introduces her new book, Daughters of the Dream, which she hopes will inspire others to work against racial injustice. She also discusses why she believes helping people who are not Black understand the experiences of African Americans in the US is essential to achieving racial equity. (Daily, 6/18)

DIVERSITY | Tim Ryan, US chairman and senior partner of PwC, advises CEOs on how to address diversity and inclusion challenges within their organizations. (Huffington Post, 6/13)

WORKFORCE | DC’s Initiative 77 Doesn’t Just Affect Servers. Why Haven’t We Heard From Delivery Drivers, Nail Technicians, Bellhops, And Others? (DCist, 6/18)

TRANSPORTATION | The Northern Virginia Transportation Authority has announced a six year program which outlines the funding it will distribute. Arlington, VA will recieve about $83 million for various projects, including the expansion of transit options in Pentagon City. (ARLnow, 6/15)

The Daily will be back on Wednesday as I will be taking off tomorrow in honor of Juneteenth. I hope you will join WRAG in a moment of silence at 10 am tomorrow to acknowledge the enslaved African Americans who built this country’s wealth.

Here’s something to make you smile on this Monday:

wally

Do you want to be involved? Send us a picture of something that has made you smile and we may include it in the “Daily WRAG’s Monday Smile”!

Email us your content at allen@washingtongrantmakers.org.