June 26, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How DC’s 11th Street Bridge Park project is working to prevent displacement

HOUSING
Opinion: Scott Kratz, vice president of Building Bridges Across the River, discusses how his organization has partnered with the District to develop the 11th Street Bridge Park east of the Anacostia River, and how they are working to mitigate displacement in the neighborhoods the development will impact. (WaPo, 6/22)

Working with nearby residents, civic associations, business owners and city officials, we created an Equitable Development Plan for the park’s surrounding neighborhoods. It outlines how the park can partner with other local nonprofits already active in Wards 7 and 8 to combat displacement and create equitable and inclusive economic opportunities. Recommendations were made in four key areas: workforce development, small-business enterprises, affordable housing and cultural equity.

– Report: Arlington Has Lost More Than 14,500 Market-Rate Affordable Homes Since 2000 (ARLnow, 6/25)

PUBLIC SAFETY | After a blind passenger fell into the gap between two Metro train cars last month, the Federal Transit Administration is mandating that Metro install barriers to prevent these incidents. (WaPo, 6/25)

HUMAN RIGHTS | This morning, the Supreme Court upheld the president’s Muslim ban. (NBC News, 6/26)

PHILANTHROPY | Annie Chang and Elise Miller discuss the hidden costs of advocating for social change for nonprofit organizations and funders. (Nonprofit Finance Fund Blog, 6/19)

HOMELESSNESSHomeless Advocates Say D.C. General Closure Should Be Delayed, But D.C. Officials Say Plan Remains On Track (WAMU, 6/26)

WORKFORCE | An April audit found that a District law that required companies to hire local workers was not being enforced. Now the DC Departmant of Employment Services says it is in compliance with the law, but it needs better data collection. (Washington Times, 6/25)

EDUCATION | DC Councilmember David Grosso is hosting town hall meetings across the city to allow students to talk about how they would like to see schools improved. (WJLA, 6/25)

In case you’re wondering how our pandas are doing…