July 10, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Some DC Councilmembers look to overturn ballot initiative to raise minimum wage for tipped workers

WORKFORCE | Just a few weeks ago, District residents took off work or came in late because they wanted to participate in our most simple, but important civic duty: voting in local elections. In this election, residents overwhelmingly voted to raise the minimum wage for tipped workers. Now DC Councilmembers are looking at overturning the ballot initiative. (WaPo, 7/9)

“It would be deeply undemocratic for council to overturn the will of the people,” said Diana Ramirez, a spokeswoman for One Fair Wage DC. “D.C. voters don’t like it when Republicans in Congress do it, and we trust council will not stoop to that level. In our preelection poll, over 80 percent of D.C. voters said they would be concerned if council overturned their vote. The people are watching. Council must set any sour grapes aside and push ahead.”

The repeal legislation would not be taken up until the fall, after the council returns from its summer recess. It would probably be the first salvo in protracted negotiations between the ballot measure’s supporters and the council.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | In 2016, WRAG, with Enterprise Community Loan Fund, launched the Our Region, Your Investment initiative to bring new capital to the region’s growing housing affordability crisis. Gretchen Greiner-Lott, vice president of WRAG, provides an update on the initiative in this new blog post. (Daily, 7/10)

EDUCATION | After policy tweak, Loudoun’s English Language Learner students granted a little more time to graduate (Loudoun Times, 7/5)

ARTS & HUMANITIES
– Tim McClimon, president of the American Express Foundation, discusses how his organization supports the arts and shares Americans for the Arts’ list of reasons why others should too. (American Express, 7/9)

– The District has opened a new museum dedicated to historically Black colleges and universities, the first in the country. (Washington Informer, 7/2)

AGING/LGBTQIA RIGHTSRetirement communities turn their sights on a once-invisible group: LGBT seniors (WaPo, 7/8)

HOMELESSNESS | DC Councilmember Trayon White plans to introduce legislation to stop the demolition of the DC General shelter until all current residents have found new homes. (WaPo, 7/9)

It’s hot and it’s National Pina Colada Day! Go treat your self tonight.