July 12, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The trouble with millennial homeownership in the region

HOUSING | Student loan debt and the wealth gap is keeping millennials in the Greater Washington region from buying homes. Although the region has programs such as first-time homebuyer’s courses and down payment assistance grants, those with no generational wealth face a tougher road to homeownership. (WTOP, 7/12)

D.C. has seen a population boom in the last 10 years, and the bulk of that growth has come from millennials moving into the area, said Yesim Sayin Taylor, executive director of the D.C. Policy Center.

In D.C.’s tight housing market, she said, that means affluent single and coupled millennials are competing with lower-income families when it comes to homeownership.

WRAG COMMUNITY | Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, has announced that she will retire at the end of 2018. Read her full message here. (Daily, 7/12)

RACIAL EQUITY | Calling into Question: W.K. Kellogg’s Accountability With Grantees (Old Money New System, 7/11)

HEALTH | CVS plans to put containers where people can drop off unused prescription drugs in its stores to address the opioid epidemic. (Baltimore Sun, 7/12)

ARTS & CULTURE | ‘It’s an Uphill Battle’ Say Artists Caught In D.C.’s Development Squeeze (WAMU, 7/12)

ENVIRONMENT | A new bill would make electricity in DC carbon-free and includes other ways to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. (GGWash, 7/11)

IMMIGRATIONSome Immigrant Toddlers Held In The D.C. Region Still Separated, Advocacy Group Says (WAMU, 7/11)

Where you can go see an actual knight fight in the DC region.