July 16, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How Virginia can decrease its high Black maternal mortality rate

HEALTH CARE
– Across the region, Black mothers are facing high maternal mortality rates due to implicit bias, access to care and other factors. The Commonwealth Institute for Fiscal Analysis has produced a blog exploring how Virginia can continue to support these mothers after Medicaid expansion. (The Half Sheet, 7/2)

Black women more often experience a lower quality of health care compared to their White counterparts. Additionally, the experience of discrimination and the stress associated with it, including while accessing health care, has been shown to lead to poorer health outcomes for mothers and their children during pregnancy.

Medicaid expansion is a massive step forward in improving the lives of nearly 400,000 Virginians, including new mothers. This process can be strengthened by a thoughtful and targeted campaign to enroll and actively provide quality, culturally responsive health care to Black women in Virginia.

– WTOP has published a series of articles documenting the maternal healthcare crisis in DC. (WTOP, 7/13)

CSR | Congratulations to WRAG members Capital One, Citigroup, DeloitteIBM, and Wells Fargo for being named as 2018 Civic 50 Honorees! (Points of Light, 7/16)

HOMELESSNESS | So Others Might Eat has partnered with Terrapin Pharmacy to bring technology-based healthcare services to the District’s homeless population to help those who struggle with taking their medication. (Street Sense Media, 7/13)

PUBLIC SAFETYGun Violence Doesn’t Break For Summer. Neither Do These Student Activists. (WAMU, 7/12)

TRANSIT | Metro workers are considering whether to strike this week after a labor dispute with management. (WaPo, 7/15)

HOUSINGBen Carson says he’s raising rents to put poor Americans to work. But in the District, the majority are either elderly, disabled or already at work. (WaPo, 7/13)

Here’s something to make you smile on this Monday:

funny-perfectly-timed-pictures-3

credit: BoredPanda

Do you want to be involved? Send us a picture of something that has made you smile and we may include it in the “Daily WRAG’s Monday Smile”!

Email us your content at allen@washingtongrantmakers.org.