August 1, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Why we should be concerned about Census 2020

CENSUS 2020 | Anxiety about the upcoming census has been mounting for over a year. With lawsuits over a citizenship question, a lawsuit from NAACP and Prince George’s County over the historical undercounting of its Black and Latinx population, and the underfunding of essential preparations for the census, it’s easy to see why. (Atlantic, 7/31)

…the census is vital to the country’s functioning. It’s not just a count of all households or a measure of American characteristics. It’s also an augur of political, economic, and cultural forces—a predictor and an allocator of power. In times of social upheaval—between political parties, whites and nonwhites, urban and rural areas, economic elites and the working class—the census can function almost like an umpire. And today, when each of these intertwined conflicts is escalating, the incentive and ambition for working the ref are greater than they’ve ever been.

HOUSINGHillcrest Has Long Been A Haven For D.C.’s Black Middle Class. Will It Stay That Way? (DCist, 7/30)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | Tim McClimon, president of the American Express Foundation, urges foundations to support and encourage arts organizations to embrace interactive technology in their performances. (Forbes, 7/31)

HEALTH
– Future Baltimore, a neighborhood revitalization project created by Bon Secours and Kaiser Permanente to advance health equity and economic opportunity in West Baltimore, has received the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Council on Foundations 2018 Secretary’s Award for Public Philanthropic Partnership. (Baltimore Times, 7/27)

– Puerto Rico’s Wounded Medicaid Program Faces Even Deeper Cuts (NPR, 8/1)

EDUCATION | How Maryland and Virginia teachers are preparing themselves to educate K-12 students about slavery. (WaPo, 7/31)

We’ve gotten almost a year’s worth of rain already. 

One Comment