August 8, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

New analysis finds racial disparities in arrests for marijuana in DC

RACIAL EQUITY | Although the District decriminalized recreational marijuana use, a WUSA9 analysis found that marijuana-related arrests were up 186% between 2015 to 2017 and 86% of those arrested were Black. (WUSA9, 8/7)

“The fact that 86 percent of those arrested are Black, in majority Black and brown areas of the city even though the level of marijuana use is the same among Blacks and whites in the District, only proves that MPD is continuing a racist policing strategy that I hope the mayor doesn’t consider to be ‘DC Values’,” said Ward 7 Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner Lorenzo Green.

In 2017, 63 percent of all marijuana arrests in 2017 came in police Districts 5, 6 and 7, which encompass Wards 7 and 8. WUSA9 found in 2017, marijuana arrests were up 97 percent in those districts, while they have fallen nine percent in the rest of the city.

ARTS & HUMANITIES
– A partnership between Georgetown University and the DC Jail is allowing incarcerated individuals and students to study music together. (DCist, 8/7)

– Get To Know ‘Hamilton’ Director Thomas Kail, A D.C.-Area Native (WAMU, 8/8)

CHILDREN | DC Council has recently approved a bill, “Birth-to-Three For All D.C.”, to expand a subsidy program to include more families, and to impose a cap on how much of a family’s income can go towards child care costs. (WAMU, 8/7)

FOOD INSECURITYAnother kind of food truck: Schools take a mobile approach to summer meals (WaPo, 8/7)

DEVELOPMENT | Residents from DC’s Ivy City neighborhood are calling on the developers involved in the renovation of the Crummell School to include green or recreational space for the community. (WaPo, 8/7)

Here’s some helpful tips for living.