August 9, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Soon TPS holders will have to decide how their families will break apart

IMMIGRATION | Earlier this year, US residents with a temporary protected status, who are either from El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria or Yemen, learned that the program was being terminated by 2020. This Washington City Paper article discusses how this is impacting families in our region. (WCP, 8/9)

Ask TPS holders about the moment they heard the program would be terminated, and one word comes up again and again: shock. Everyone knew TPS was impermanent, but it had been renewed so many times. The government renewed TPS for El Salvador every 18 months, and those with the designation have had to re-register each time, most recently for a fee of $495.

TPS beneficiaries fear what will happen to their children when the status ends. Many TPS parents have U.S. citizen children, or their families are a mix of undocumented, TPS, and citizen members. TPS holders from Haiti, Honduras, and El Salvador have 273,000 U.S. citizen children, according to a 2017 report from the Center for Migration Studies. When the status ends, these families will have to decide who will stay and who will go—whether or not they can remain a family within these borders.

PUBLIC SAFETY | Virginia’s Governor Ralph Northam and the city of Charlottesville, Virginia have both declared a state of emergency ahead of the anniversary of the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville. (WaPo, 8/8)

– How school security companies are profiting from school officials who are concerned that a mass shooting may happen on their campus. (Atlantic, 8/9)

– Montgomery County Public School Review Reveals Elevated Lead Levels in Water at 86 Schools (Bethesda Beat, 8/8)

PHILANTHROPY | Opinion: Why Philanthropy Must Spark a Revolution to Help Social Workers Do More (Chronicle, 8/9 – Subscription needed)

Today is National Book Lovers Day! What are you currently reading? I’m reading Injustices: The Supreme Court’s History of Comforting the Comfortable and Afflicting the Afflicted by Ian Millhiser.