August 14, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Businesses in Alexandria brace for next summer’s Metro closure

WORKFORCE | Next year, six Virginia Metro stations will be closed for almost 100 days between Memorial Day and Labor Day so that Metro can rebuild their platforms. Business owners near these stations are already considering the impact of the closures on their shoppers. (WaPo, 8/13)

No trains will run south of Reagan National Airport during the shutdown, including to Braddock Road, where Rob Krupicka worries how his Sugar Shack Donuts shop will survive a summer without commuters loading up on sugar and caffeine before work.

He’s thinking of cutting back on hours, closing some days or “borrowing my way through the summer, which is not easy for a small business to do,” he said. “But I’m going to have to do something.”

CENSUS 2020 | Over 33 philanthropy-serving organizations, including WRAG, signed onto a letter opposing the addition of the citizenship question to the 2020 census. Read the letter here. (United Philanthropy Forum, 8/1)

Related: WRAG members understand that a fair and complete census is critical to the fight for a racially equitable region. WRAG has formed a 2020 Census Working Group that is currently identifying how it can leverage the resources of local philanthropy and other stakeholders to ensure an accurate and complete census count in the region. All WRAG members are welcome to join this group. Click here for info on the next meeting.

PHILANTHROPY | In honor of Black Philanthropy Month, Tyrone McKinley Freeman, assistant professor of philanthropic studies at the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, discusses the history and growth of giving in the Black community. (Chronicle, 8/13 – Subscription needed)

HOUSINGBen Carson Moves Forward With Push To Change Fair Housing Rule (NPR, 8/13)

PUBLIC SAFETY | DC Attorney General Karl Racine has filed lawsuits against property owners in four communities due to multiple police visits for “illegal activity”. (DCist, 8/13)

ENVIRONMENTMontgomery Parks Plans Hunting Operations in 46 Parks This Year To Thin Deer Herds (Bethesda Beat, 8/13)

ECONOMY | The rising cost of goods in the US has erased the wage growth workers have experienced in recent years. (WaPo, 8/10)

Can you tell which one of these snacks is a cupcake?