August 20, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Greater Washington permanent residents applying to become citizens face long wait

IMMIGRATION
– Amid growing anti-immigrant rhetoric and the administration’s plan to severely decrease immigration, the number of permanent US residents applying for naturalization has increased. This, along with the scrutiny of the citizenship applications, has created a backlog of citizenship applications in the US and DC region. (WaPo, 8/17)

Sookyung Oh, D.C. area director of the National Korean American Service & Education Consortium, said Trump’s immigration crackdown has fueled greater interest in the naturalization clinics her organization runs for Asian immigrants in Northern Virginia.

“For the most part, people are doing it now because they’re afraid,” Oh said. “It’s not that they want to vote in 2020. It’s that they want to protect themselves and their families, and the best way they can do that is through naturalization.”

– What will happen to DACA? Federal court cases could lead to an answer. (WaPo, 8/19)

EDUCATION | As students get ready for a new school year, schools in the DC region differ in how they will ensure a safe environment for their pupils. (WAMU, 8/20)

HOUSING
– Citing concerns about adding to traffic and the planning board’s process of approving a housing development in Bethesda, residents have brought a lawsuit to the Maryland Court of Special Appeals. (Bethesda Beat, 8/17)

– HUD Hits Facebook For Allowing Housing Discrimination (NPR, 8/19)

ENVIRONMENT | How a largely Black, baptist community and its Yogaville neighbors have come together in Virginia to fight against the building of a compressor station. (WaPo, 8/18)

TRANSPORTATIONThis app wants to reward you for smart commuting choices (WaPo, 8/18)

Here’s something to make you smile on this Monday:

Mr. and Mrs. Brown had two sons. One was named Mind Your Own Business & the other was named Trouble. One day the two boys decided to play hide and seek. Trouble hid while Mind Your Own Business counted to one hundred. Mind Your Own Business began looking for his brother behind garbage cans and bushes. Then he started looking in and under cars until a police man approached him and asked, “What are you doing?” “Playing a game,” the boy replied. “What is your name?” the officer questioned. “Mind Your Own Business.” Furious the policeman inquired, “Are you looking for trouble?!” The boy replied, “Why, yes.” – Anonymous

Do you want to be involved? Send us a picture of something that has made you smile and we may include it in the “Daily WRAG’s Monday Smile”!

Email us your content at allen@washingtongrantmakers.org.