September 4, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A new study will analyze the risk of heat-related health problems in the District

ENVIRONMENT | As the Greater Washington region gears up for another hot week, scientists are readying to study how the heat impacts neighborhoods differently in DC. They expect the research to show that wealthier neighborhoods will be cooler than low-income neighborhoods. (WaPo, 9/2)

Like educational attainment, wealth accumulation and life expectancy, where you live is a deciding factor. Your location in the city not only dictates how hot it is, but also the likelihood that the heat itself will be dangerous: The poor, who often cannot afford air conditioning and are more likely to have medical conditions that are exacerbated by heat, have fewer ways to escape it.

HEALTHCARE | Community activists, and doctors and nurses from DC’s Providence Hospital are calling on the organization that owns the hospital not to cut its services. (WAMU, 8/30)

EDUCATION | A Maryland program that lets teachers know when one of their students has experienced trauma is expanding to other schools in the state. (WTOP, 9/4)

WORKFORCE
– Celeste Amato, president of the Association of Baltimore Area Grantmakers, gives nonprofits, which have a majority white workforce, advice on how to attract people of color to their workplace. (Chronicle, 8/29 – Subscription needed)

– D.C.’s Labor Laws Are Among The Strongest In The Country, Report Says (WAMU, 8/31)

LGBTQIA RIGHTS | How a linguist is learning to reject the gender binary and respect non-binary individuals and others whose pronouns are ‘they’. (Atlantic, 9/4)

Try this cool new tool that combines sound bites from your favorite celebrities to create music.