September 7, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

School ties to ICE makes school unsafe for undocumented and other immigrant students

EDUCATION | Greater Washington students are back in school. While some students can go to school worry-free, immigrant students, especially those who are undocumented or who have family that are, are forced to go to school every day in fear of authorities reporting them to ICE. (WAMU, 9/6)

This fear is increasingly common in schools in the D.C. area. While some children of immigrants go to class but are afraid to talk to authority figures, others have stopped attending school entirely.

“You have those senior ones who are even afraid to walk or feel like they are not going to be able to graduate because of their legal status,” says Sandra Shephard, the Managing Director for the Latin American Youth Center in Prince George’s County and a counselor for immigrant youth. “I had a case in May where a young person actually wanted to commit suicide because he was afraid that if he walked to get his diploma, immigration was going to come get him and his family.”

CRIMINAL JUSTICE
– Virginia advocates are fighting a law that makes it a crime for people who have multiple alcohol-related crimes to purchase, possess or even be near alcohol. (WaPo, 9/7)

– Lawyers Turn to Activism as Civil Liberties Come Under Attack (YES! Magazine, 9/6)

PUBLIC SAFETY | Washington Dulles International Airport has unveiled a new system that will replace boarding passes for international passengers – facial scans. (WaPo, 9/6)

TRANSIT | For the past few months, Metro has piloted a program that prohibits passengers from using cash to ride the 79 bus. It is contemplating expanding the program to other bus lines. (DCist, 9/6)

POPULATIONGentrification in DC is not just a black and white issue (GGWash, 9/6)

Social Sector Job Openings 

Grants Manager | Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company– New!
Development Manager | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Vice-President for Development and Communications | Coalition for Nonprofit Housing and Economic Development (CNHED)
Development Manager | Leadership Greater Washington
Senior Managing Director, Finance & Operations | Flamboyan Foundation
Institutional Giving Associate | Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Director, Institutional Giving | Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Events Manager | Public Welfare Foundation
Major Gifts Officer | L’Arche Greater Washington D.C.
Manager of Program & Evaluation Services | BoardSource
Programs Officer | DC Bar Foundation
Executive Vice President, Development and Communications | Northern Virginia Family Service
Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations | Northern Virginia Family Service
Adult Education Specialist | BoardSource
Senior Director, Evaluation and Learning | Flamboyan Foundation
Major Gifts Officer | Food & Friends
Part-Time Program Administrator for the Bernie Scholarship Awards Program | Greater Washington Community Foundation
Membership Development Manager | Exponent Philanthropy

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar

To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click here to view the community calendar.

In case you’re interested in this year’s DC Shorts Film Festival