September 13, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How can DC solve the maternal healthcare crisis Black mothers are experiencing?

HEALTH CARE | There have been numerous stories about the high maternal mortality rate for Black women and other women of color in DC. Two solutions that should be prioritized are addressing the structural racism mothers face when trying to access services and the implicit bias of doctors who don’t listen to their patients. At a recent conference, DC’s mayor focused on why patients aren’t accessing services. (WaPo, 9/12)

But one of the key dilemmas facing the players at the conference dealt not with access to hospital delivery rooms, but rather with the months of a woman’s pregnancy leading up to childbirth.

The issue is not insurance, Mayor Bowser said, since 97 percent of D.C. residents are covered by insurance. “It means getting more people connected to the right people at the right time,” she said. “Why are people avoiding the doctor their first three months of pregnancy?”

CSR | Congratulations to WRAG members The Boeing Company, Eagle Hill Consulting, and IBM for being named as finalists for this year’s Citizens Awards by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation! The Citizens Award recognize businesses who are making a positive impact in communities around the world. (USCCF, 9/12)

MENTAL HEALTH/ EDUCATION | A DC art teacher discusses why its important for teachers, mentors and other adults who work with youth to try to reach those who are experiencing trauma. (WaPo, 9/12)

ARTS & HUMANITIESD.C. Area Students Tell History From Their Own Eyes On The Hamilton Stage (WAMU, 9/12)

HOUSING | A DC councilmember wants to revise a bill to establish affordable housing as a priority in the city’s comprehensive plan. (WBJ, 9/12)

TRANSPORTATION | Metro has proposed charging riders higher fares for travelling during regional events and specific events. (WTOP, 9/13)

Make music with anyone, anywhere.