September 26, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How foundations, teachers and investors are partnering to change education

EDUCATION | Teachers and others in the education field have been working on personalizing learning to ensure that all students are successful in the classroom for decades. Here are some examples of how philanthropy, investors, nonprofits and teachers are partnering to make this happen. (Barron’s, 9/22)

In the U.S., wealthy investors and foundations that agree that the traditional public school system isn’t serving most students have become attracted to personalized learning initiatives because, unlike innovations practiced at a single charter school, approaches to personalizing instruction can be adopted by any school—public, private, or charter.

“It’s scalable and not dependent on any one teacher or school or school system—it’s looking at empowering students to get the skills that they need to be successful in the classroom,” says Nick Tedesco, senior philanthropic advisor at J.P. Morgan Private Bank.

PHILANTHROPY FELLOWS | Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers is excited to welcome the 2018-2019 Philanthropy Fellows! Read about them here. (Daily, 9/26)

ARTS & HUMANITIES‘The Smithsonian can do more and should do more,’ says advocate for a Latino museum (WaPo, 9/25)

ECONOMY | Arlington County’s manager says there will be a gap of $20 million to $35 million in the next fiscal year, and residents should brace for increased real estate taxes and program cuts. (WaPo, 9/25)

GENDER GAP | A new study from GuideStar found that the gender pay gap in large nonprofits persists but is shrinking at the smaller nonprofits. (Chronicle, 9/24 – Subscription needed)

PUBLIC SAFETYD.C. Aims To Crack Down On K2 Suppliers With Emergency Legislation (WAMU, 9/25)

HOUSING | DC Students from the Academy of Construction and Design at IDEA Public Charter School have built two tiny houses in Deanwood. (Urban Turf, 9/25)

WORKFORCE | Maryland’s Governor Larry Hogan has announced that as of October 1, state employees will get 60 paid parental leave days after their child’s birth or the adoption of a child. (WTOP, 9/25)

How many people in the US have your name?