September 27, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How do we improve the region’s agricultural economy?

AGRICULTURE | The Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments is set to release a report, What Our Region Grows, by the end of the year. The report analysed the region’s agricultural economy and includes recommendations on how to strengthen it. According to the report, more than 480,000 residents from across the region are employed in this sector. (MWCOG, 9/24)

“We’re excited to share this first look at the work of COG’s experienced Regional Agricultural Work Group,” said Lindsay Smith, COG’s Regional Food Systems Value Chain Coordinator. “This report reinforces the idea that regional collaboration is key to ensuring agriculture can expand and thrive in metropolitan Washington.”

Metropolitan Washington is a growing region with a growing demand for food, yet land in farms has been steadily decreasing since World War II. Earlier this decade, COG set a regional goal to maintain 498,946 acres of land in farms to improve the food system and preserve agriculture. The most recent data puts the region just 3,600 acres above this threshold.

HOMELESSNESSFirst Homeless Shelter To Replace D.C. General Opens In Ward 4 (DCist, 9/26)

CSR | Congratulations to WRAG member Tim Ryan, U.S. Chairman and senior partner at PwC, for being named one of the finalists for Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s 2018 Responsible CEO of the Year and Lifetime Achievement Awards! (CSR Wire, 9/26)

PHILANTHROPYThe gentrification of movements: 4 Ways funders can stop putting raisins in the potato salad (NCRP, 9/24)

– On Monday, DC students will no longer be able to use their DC One Cards to ride the metro or bus for free. They will need to use special SmarTrips, but the District has not distributed enough to all schools. (WAMU, 9/27)

– D.C. principal was taped mocking student’s sex assault claim, lawsuit says (WaPo, 9/26)

You probably have heard of these foods, but have you heard the nicknames for them