October 10, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A new tool aims to show the importance of investing in the arts

ARTS & HUMANITIES | Americans for the Arts has introduced a new online tool that shows how the arts integrate into other sectors and their impact on our overall well-being. They hope it will provide advocates and leaders with the information they need to encourage investment in the arts. (Americans for the Arts, 10/9)

The Explorer is designed as an entry point to the large and growing body of research, projects, and support organizations that exist at the intersection of the Arts and various parts of our community. It creates an experience that can scale from casual surfing to deep exploration of a topic—you can glean a starting set of information in five minutes, or can follow the embedded hyperlinks (up to 20 per subject area) to visit the websites of all the example projects, access the research referenced, and engage directly with the other partners doing this work around the country.

RACIAL EQUITY | David Biemesderfer, president & CEO of United Philanthropy Forum, discusses how WRAG and Leadership Greater Washington’s Civil Rights Learning Journey has inspired him to continue advancing racial equity in his personal and professional life. (United Philanthropy Forum, 10/5)

HOUSING | Opinion: DC’s mayor has introduced two legislative proposals that could escalate economic development and cause displacement in Anacostia and Brookland Manor. (DC Line, 10/9)

NONPROFITS | Venture Philanthropy Partners is co-hosting the 2018 Greater Washington Superstar Award with The Superstar Foundation. The Superstar Award will celebrate an individual who provides direct services to our region’s young people. For more information about the award, eligibility and the nomination process, click here. The deadline is Friday, October 19th. (VPP, 9/14)

FOOD INSECURITYHungry Harvest expands affordable produce concept to D.C., eyes other markets (WBJ, 10/9)

BUSINESS
– Three Wilson High School graduates are opening up a cafe and creative space near Union Market. (Washingtonian, 10/9)

– How D.C. Restaurants Are Preparing Now That Political Protests Are On The Menu (WAMU, 10/9)

Today is World Mental Health Day! Here’s some tips on how to prioritize your mental health.