October 22, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The administration’s plan to erase transgender people

TRANSGENDER RIGHTS | A recent memo reported that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is preparing to redefine gender as either male or female, “unchangeable, and determined by the genitals that a person is born with.” This definition would erase transgender, intersex, and gender non-conforming individuals as well as impose a binary that people have been fighting against for decades. (Atlantic, 10/21)

…this is a federal agency proposing widespread genetic testing and keeping records of citizens’ genitals. This is a proposal by the government imposing an expectation that everyone look and act in one of two ways, and that everything in between is somehow not right—an aberration, an anomaly, a flaw, a problem, a disease—rather than a marvel of the natural world, a way that humans survive and thrive not despite but because of our complexity as a species.

Even those who believe a simplistic dichotomy does and should explain the world—regardless of the millions of people who exist as evidence to the contrary—should see reason to question the American-ness of government imposing such a rigid prescription on everyone.

HIV/AIDS | Executive director Channing Wickham and senior program officer Jennifer Jue of the Washington AIDS Partnership discuss the Mobile Outreach Retention and Engagement initiative (MORE). MORE was created to help people living with HIV to access and stay in care when traditional medical services have not worked for them. (Daily, 10/22)

SOCIAL JUSTICE | Opinion: Philanthropy Won’t Change the World Unless It Takes More Risks. Here’s How. (Chronicle, 10/17 – Subscription needed)

HEALTHCARE
– Virginia will begin accepting applications from low-income adults who are newly eligible for health coverage under Medicaid on November 1. (WAMU, 10/18)

– What to know about acute flaccid myelitis, the polio-like illness that’s affecting children (Baltimore Sun, 10/17)

EDUCATION | The American Civil Liberties Union has partnered with four Prince George’s County students who are challenging the school system’s summer school tuition policy, which makes families pay for the student to attend summer school. (WaPo, 10/21)

TRANSITIs Uber the Enemy or Ally of Public Transit? (Citylab, 10/19)

Here’s something to make you smile on this Monday:

sign

Do you want to be involved? Send us a picture of something that has made you smile and we may include it in the “Daily WRAG’s Monday Smile”!

Email us your content at allen@washingtongrantmakers.org.