November 13, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How race determines eviction rates in Virginia

HOUSING
– Recently, a report found that Richmond, VA had the second highest eviction rates in the US, and that Black and brown communities are disproportionately impacted by this. Now several organizations in Virginia are trying to understand why areas that are majority white and high in poverty have a small eviction rate compared to communities with a majority of people of color. (WaPo, 11/10)

Marty Wegbreit, director of litigation for the Central Virginia Legal Aid Society in Richmond, has witnessed the interplay of race and eviction at work. He spent 24 years in Southwest Virginia, where there is as much poverty, in the mountain hollows and coal fields, as anywhere in the state. The only difference, however, is that it’s white poverty. Buchanan County, for instance, which is 96 percent white and has a poverty rate of 25 percent, has an eviction rate of less than 1 percent, according to Eviction Lab.

“A lot of people don’t want to talk about the racial issue, but we’re going to,” Wegbreit said. “White people simply have a deeper bench, more access to wealth than black and brown people. . . . And there’s a subconscious belief that, ‘We can let the white folks slide; they’ll be good for it. And the black folks, not, because they won’t be good for it.’ ”

How opportunity zones are driving progress in one Ward 7 project (WBJ, 11/12 – Subscription needed)

PHILANTHROPY | In a new blog, Tamara Lucas Copeland, president of Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers, discusses what she would like to see WRAG members and the organization focus on in the future. (Daily, 11/13)

CSR | Congratulations to these WRAG members for their inclusion in Washington Business Journal‘s 2017 list of Largest Corporate Philanthropists by Giving:

Wells Fargo & Co.

JPMorgan Chase Bank

Bank of America

Northrop Grumman Corp.

Capital One Financial Corp.

PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP

The World Bank Group

CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield

Pepco Holdings

PNC Bank

SunTrust Banks Inc.

Deloitte LLP and subsidiaries

Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.

Washington Gas

ENVIRONMENT | Opinion: Paper Coffee Cups Will be the Death of Us (Outline, 11/12)

WORKFORCE | Georgetown University’s graduate student assistants have voted to unionize. (DCist, 11/12)

BUSINESS | Residents tried for weeks to save this D.C. institution. It’s closing anyway. (WaPo, 11/12)

EDUCATION | Here are five ways to make classrooms more inclusive for LGBTQIA students. (NPR, 10/26)

MEDIA | A journalism program partnered students from Morgan State University, a historically Black college in Maryland, and West Virginia University, a predominantly white institution, to teach them how to report while navigating the intersections of race and other identities. (YES! Magazine, 11/7)

Can you rezone this community to make everyone happy?