December 3, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Here’s the real impact of negative perceptions of Black residents

HOUSING
– A new study from the Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution found that the value of assets with a high concentration of Black people such as houses, schools and others are linked to perceptions of Black people. The research shows that homes in neighborhoods where the population is at least 50% Black are valued at half the price as homes in neighborhoods with no Black residents. (Next City, 11/29)

According to the authors’ analysis, differences in home and neighborhood quality do not fully explain the lower value of homes in black neighborhoods. Homes in majority-black neighborhoods are worth $48,000 less than homes of similar quality in neighborhoods with similar amenities but few or no black residents, the authors found.

In total, the authors tabulated that majority-black neighborhoods contain 3.2 million owner-occupied homes worth an estimated $609 billion — but those homes would collectively be worth $156 billion more if not for the lower value that comes with the perceptions associated with being in a majority-black neighborhood.

– Jacqueline Lassey, WRAG Journalism Fellow and a student at DC’s Richard Wright Public Charter School, writes about her changing DC neighborhood and its impact on her family. (Daily, 12/3)

HOMELESSNESS | Amanda Misiko Andere, CEO of Funders Together to End Homelessness, discusses why racial equity must be included in the movement to end homelessness. (CHF Blog, 11/29)

HEALTH
– The District of Columbia Hospital Association has announced that Providence Hospital will keep its emergency room open until April 2019. (WAMU, 11/30)

Medicare To Cut Payments To Nursing Homes Whose Patients End Up Back In The Hospital (NPR, 12/1)

EDUCATION | The Arlington Public School system will redraw school boundaries this upcoming school year and the next year after more schools are built to ease overcrowding. (WAMU, 12/3)

TRANSIT | Metro was willing to work with Jason Kessler to provide special treatment for ‘Unite the Right’ rallygoers, emails show (WaPo, 11/29)

Here’s something to make you smile on this Monday:

PHOTO-2018-08-02-08-46-10555

This image was suggested by Daily WRAG reader Pat Mathews!

Do you want to be involved? Send us a picture of something that has made you smile and we may include it in the “Daily WRAG’s Monday Smile”!

Email us your content at allen@washingtongrantmakers.org.