December 6, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Bill to protect tenants in evictions faces criticism from landlords

HOUSING | Maryland Delegate Jheanelle Wilkins will introduce a bill to restrict evictions to certain types of tenant violations, including breach of a lease and disorderly conduct. The bill will also guarantee at least a 60-day notice of eviction. Landlords in the state say the bill will make it harder to evict tenants. (Bethesda Beat, 12/5)

State legislation that would require Montgomery County landlords to provide “just cause,” for issuing evictions has drawn ire from apartment managers and apartment associations, who fear the bill would incumber the process of evicting “problem tenants.”

During the hearing [for the bill], both proponents and opponents testified on the bill, with a dozen people voicing opposition. Ron Wineholt, the vice president of government affairs for the Apartment and Office Building Association of Metropolitan Washington, said that in his observation, “99 percent of tenants” pay their rent on time and abide by the terms of the lease. With the 60-day required notice, he worries that Wilkins’ bill could prolong an already lengthy process of evicting “problem tenants,” interfering with the quiet enjoyment of the property by other tenants.

CRIMINAL JUSTICE | A warden from a Maryland Correctional Institution for Women is changing the food offered to make it healthier. (WaPo, 12/5)

IMMIGRATION | Proposed public charge rule could erode health insurance coverage gains among citizen children with non-citizen parents (Urban Institute, 12/4)

– How funders can think more about how they wield their power with grantees. (CEP, 11/29)

– Opinion: Facebook’s Bare-Knuckle Tactics Are Just One Sign of a Media Culture That Philanthropy Can Help Fix (Chronicle, 12/5)

– Opinion: Why there should be more outrage about student debt in the fight against poverty. (Truthout, 12/4)

Eliminating Book Deserts: How A D.C. Community Bookstore Is Breaking Down Barriers To Reading (WAMU, 12/6)

REMINDER | Daily WRAG readers, we want your opinion! In order to improve your reading experience, we ask that you complete this short survey by Wednesday, December 19 to let us know what you like and what could be better on the blog.

Some puns for your Thursday!