December 12, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Providence Hospital is set to shut down some of its services on Friday

HEALTHCARE | On Friday, DC’s Providence Hospital will shutdown its acute-care services. Although the hospital recently announced it will keep its emergency room open until April 2019, many residents, advocates and nurses still worry about the impact on the neighborhood and communities east of the river. (WAMU, 12/11)

At a rally Tuesday outside of the hospital, nurses said that residents east of the Anacostia River still need a “fully-functional hospital.”

Healthcare advocates say residents living in the eastern part of the District already have limited options for care; several hospitals are clustered on the western side of D.C.

“We are not satisfied with what Ascension is doing here. They are offering a small and I think dangerous hospital, potentially,” said Stephen Frum, a labor representative with National Nurses United, the union which represents nurses at Providence.

BUSINESS | ACT for Alexandria, the Arlington Community Foundation, the Community Foundation for Loudoun & Northern Fauquier Counties, the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia, and the Greater Washington Community Foundation sent a letter to welcome Amazon to Northern Virginia. Read it here (CFNova, 12/15)

How the Neighborhood Funder Group is Disrupting Funder-Grantee Dynamics (Surdna Foundation, 12/5)

– Vu Le, Nonprofit AF blogger, warns progressive funders that they can learn from conservative funders and lists a few of their strengths. (NAF, 12/10)

INCOME | A new idea to address income inequality in the US is becoming popular – having the government provide a job with good wages for everyone who isn’t employed. (Citylab, 12/10)

FOOD | New Program Offers Southeast D.C. Families Discounted Rides To Grocery Stores (WAMU, 12/11)

EDUCATION | Arlington County, Alexandria and DC are all creating a more inclusive school environment for students who identify as nonbinary or transgender. (DCist, 12/10)

ENVIRONMENT | D.C. backs away from special water rate relief for churches (WaPo, 12/11)

REMINDER | Daily WRAG readers, we want your opinion! In order to improve your reading experience, we ask that you complete this short survey by Wednesday, December 19 to let us know what you like and what could be better on the blog.

Ready for an afternoon snack? Get a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts today for $1.