March 18, 2019 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

Virginia racial gerrymandering case headed to the Supreme Court

RACIAL JUSTICE | Today the US Supreme Court will hear arguments in Virginia’s racial gerrymandering redistricting case, which could determine the balance of power in the state’s legislature for years. (WaPo, 3/17)

A panel of lower-court judges ruled last year that 11 Virginia House of Delegates districts were racially gerrymandered and ordered a new map to correct them. House Republicans appealed that finding and will argue against the new map before the high court. All 140 seats in the legislature are on the ballot this fall. The party that controls the General Assembly in 2021 will oversee the next statewide re­districting effort, following next year’s census — potentially cementing an advantage in future elections.

– Virginia is confronting its dark past and seeking to document as many lynching cases as possible, including three in Loudoun County that are expected to be memorialized by a historical marker in the future. (Loudoun County Times, 3/16)

HOMELESSNESS
DC Central Kitchen, which serves 10,000 meals per day to homeless shelters, is facing financial turbulence after losing a major portion of a long-standing contract. (CP, 3/14)

– The District’s new Downtown Services Center in the basement of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church is a new space that provides many services for people experiencing homelessness, from access to healthcare to a barber shop. (WTOP, 3/14)

EDUCATION | DC’s Free Preschool Program Turns 10. How It’s Changed Family Life In The District (WAMU, 3/15)

CHILD CARE | Arlington votes to adopt changes to improve child care access. (arlingtonva.us, 3/16)

MENTAL HEALTH | Mental health problems rise significantly among young Americans (WaPo, 3/16)

DISABILITY RIGHTS | Why The College Admissions Scandal Hurts Students With Disabilities (NPR, 3/14)

ENVIRONMENT | How a 7th-grader’s strike against climate change exploded into a movement (WaPo, 23/16)

Did you know this about St. Patrick’s Day? Sláinte!

The (Almost) Daily WRAG will be back on Wednesday and Friday this week!

– Buffy