Census Day 2020 is one year from today. In an op-ed, Heather Peeler, President & CEO of ACT for Alexandria, explains why it is critical for the community to ensure everyone is counted in the 2020 Census. (Alexandria Times, 3/28)
Failure to count all Alexandrians is a threat to representational democracy and the values that are core to our country. An undercount means fewer dollars for schools, housing vouchers and many critical federal programs that our community members depend upon. The dollars add up quickly. On average each person counted represents about $2,000 in federal dollars per year for ten years. An undercount of even 1 to 2 percent means tens of millions of dollars in lost federal funding for our community.
– Over the next year, philanthropy, nonprofits, local government, business, and other community stakeholders are mobilizing around the 2020 Census. In a new blog post, Rebekah Seder, WRAG’s senior program manager, looks at why a fair and accurate census count is essential to an equitable future for our region. (Daily, 4/1)
– Census 2020: For all to count, all must be counted (Black Press USA, 3/30)
– House panel threatening subpoenas over census question (WaPo, 3/29)
– To address concerns about housing affordability in the DC suburbs, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam will ask state lawmakers this week to add $4 million to a housing trust fund. (WaPo, 4/1)
ARTS | Arts and culture are an economic power, contributing more than $800 billion a year to US economic output. (CityLab, 3/28)
– Dismantling racism and oppression within school systems can be prioritized with mandatory worker training. (Truthout, 3/28)
– Opinion: Economic inclusion and criminal justice reform are intertwined — and why the business community should care. (CityLab, 3/28)
NONPROFITS | 4 Ways Nonprofits Can Tackle a Growing US Divide (Chronicle, 3/26)
PHILANTHROPY | Opinion: Why Philanthropy Must Do More to Help Transgender People (Chronicle, 3/28)
Tips to get great cherry blossom pics with your phone!
The (Almost) Daily WRAG will be back on Thursday and Friday!