May 20, 2019 / Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz, Editor

Study examines the impact of ‘adultification’ on black girls

RACIAL EQUITY | Building on research that shows adults view young black girls as older and less innocent than their white peers, the Center on Poverty and Inequality at Georgetown University Law Center has affirmed the findings in its 2017 study through interviews with black girls and women ages 12 to 60 in towns and cities of various sizes across the United States. (WAMU, 5/16)

Through focus groups, researchers learned that young black girls are routinely subject to adultification bias, where black girls between the ages of 5 and 9 are perceived as being much older than they actually are … which contributes to harsher punishments in school and fewer leadership and mentorship opportunities. Among the solutions discussed is the idea that improving cultural competency and gender-responsiveness can help educators better understand black girls … “Change can only come when we add action to the data” says Rebecca Epstein, the center’s executive director… “We all have a responsibility once we know this information to start changing the landscape for black girls.”

CENSUS 2020 | Four of the nation’s most prominent foundations have committed millions to ensure a complete and accurate tally in the 2020 census, and are calling on other grantmakers to provide funding as well. (Chronicle, 5/15 – Subscription)

Related: WRAG is co-convening, along with 14 funders and other institutions, a day-long forum called Interventions That Work: Census 2020 & Hard-to-Reach Communities. The event will bring together the public, private, and nonprofit sectors to bridge the gap between information and action necessary to enable an accurate census. Learn more and register here.

– Opinion: Montgomery County should let kids ride free to school  (GGWash, 5/17)

– Sixty-five years after Brown V. Board of Education, Montgomery County schools are  still trying to desegregate. (Bethesda Magazine, 5/16)

ENVIRONMENT
– The Potomac-Chesapeake Dolphin Project is looking for the public to help name two dolphins that live in the Potomac River. (WaPo, 5/17)

– States take steps to strengthen environmental regulations, widening the rift between stringent state policies and the administration’s deregulatory agenda. (WaPo, 5/19)

HOUSING
HUD Rule Targeting Immigrant Families Could Evict 55,000 Children (CityLab, 5/10)

– Opinion: The region has built a lot of housing – but not enough, and not in the right places (GGWash, 5/16)

VIRGINIA | Amazon Announces Plans For Arlington HQ2 Campus (dcist, 5/17)

TRANSIT | The DC Council is going to consider citizen parking enforcers to address parking challenges. (WaPo, 5/19)

ARTS  | New DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities Director Claps Back (Afro, 5/16)

NONPROFITS | Philanthropy critic Anand Giridharadas writes that nonprofits should interrogate themselves on how the money that is fueling them was made. (NYT, 5/16)

PHILANTHROPY | Giving by Women’s Funds Has Soared. And They’re Getting More Savvy and Strategic (Inside Philanthropy, 5/14)

The new Spy Museum in the District highlights the past and takes on current day affairs.

The (Almost) Daily WRAG will be back on Thursday and Friday!

– Buffy